Finding postdoc funding can be a time consuming process, you will have to devote some time and effort to the search for opportunity alignment. In addition, each funding source has different requirements and eligibility. Some opportunities have citizenship requirements and/or time since PhD/MD degree. Check with your department’s grants administrator early on to ensure that your application is appropriate and meets any internal WashU requirements.
Internal Funding Resources
- Finding Funding:
- WashU Internal Selections for opportunities that only allow a limited number of submissions per institution
- Washington University NIH Training Grants
- Research News which contains research-related information for the university and occasional funding opportunities
- Postdoc Update newsletter
- Postdoc Grants list (PDF)
- SPIN is a large funding database where you can create customized notifications
- Private Funding Sources for Biomedical Research is managed by the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations
- Preparing applications:
- WUSTL Grants Library has examples of successful fellowship and grant applications from a variety of funding sources.
- Academic Publishing and InPrint provide support for scientific writing and editing
- Preparation opportunities: ICTS Research Forum Program and Mock Study Section for NIH proposals
- Becker Medical Library Grant Writing Resources and Videos
- Slides from Grant Basics seminar 2018. | NIH Fellowship Review Process 2018
Internal Funding Opportunities
W. M. Keck Postdoctoral Program
The W. M. Keck Postdoctoral Program in Molecular Medicine at Washington University is administered by the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. This fellowship provides stipend support for one year to postdocs who are U.S. citizens with less than 2 years of postdoctoral experience and whose faculty mentor is a member of DBBS. The Call for Nominations is open and sent to DBBS Faculty every spring.
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs does not currently have funds for travel awards.
Other Funding Resources and Information
- AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship
- Directory of Grants and Fellowships in the Global Health Sciences
- Postdoctoral Funding Opportunities List maintained by Johns Hopkins
- National Academies Fellowships Office
- References.net (formerly the Scholarly Societies Project)